HKQ Kids

Batteries and Little Fingers

Little kids love to explore. Little fingers find even the smallest items in the tiniest places. And it’s not unusual for them to put those newly-found things right into their mouths.

Electronic devices are getting smaller and sleeker – mini remote controls, calculators, watches, key fobs, flameless candles and even musical greeting cards – are all enticing to kids. They love to take things apart, often exposing very tiny button batteries than can potentially cause very serious injuries to little kids.

More than 2800 kids are treated in Emergency Rooms across the United States every year after swallowing button batteries. That’s one child, every three hours. And in the last decade, serious injuries or deaths as a result of button batteries have increased ninefold.

Some safety tips:

1. Keep small coin and button battery-controlled devices away from your small kids. These include musical greeting cards, decorations, battery operated candles, hearing aids, flashing holiday jewelry and remote controls, to name a few.
2. Keep loose batteries locked away in a safe place.
3. If it’s impossible to keep out of reach, place a piece of heavy duty duct tape over the battery compartment door of the item to keep small kids from easily accessing the batteries.
4. Share this info with relatives, caregivers, friends and sitters.
5. If you suspect your child has ingested a battery, take them to the hospital immediately. Do not have them eat or drink anything until examined by a medical professional.
6. Keep the Battery Ingestion Hotline into your phone right now. (800-498-8666) Caall at anytime for additional treatment information.

For more tips, go to HKQKids.org or find us on Facebook and Instagram.